The British Take over India
- Discuss the locations of the colonial rule of such nations as England, France, Germany, Italy, Japan, the Netherlands, Russia, Spain, Portugal, and the United States
- Explain imperialism from the perspective of the colonizers and the colonized and the varied immediate and long-term responses by the people under colonial rule
Britain took advantage of Indian divisions (language, cultures, traditions)
Britain had superior weapons
The Sepoy Rebellion 1857
Sepoys (Indian Soldiers) got angry
- British officials forced them to do things that were against their religion (travel, remarry, eat animal fat)
- Britain crushed the rebellion and torched villages and slaughter thousands of unarmed Indians.
Results: Britain tightened their control over India
Results of British Imperialism: the bad and the good
British East India Company ($$$)
- Improved roads, introduced Western Education, legal procedures, healthcare, worked to end slavery & caste system (social order)
- Benefited Britain- led to deforestation and hardships for India (famine)
- Nationalist movement (democracy & equality)
Indian National Congress~ 1885
- Peaceful protest for greater democracy
Questions (303-307 and/or lecture notes)
What European Power Imperialized India?
What were the causes of the Sepoy Rebellion?
List 2 bad and 2 good results of Imperialism.
How did Imperialism lead to a nationalist movement in India?