Plaque Biofilm Management: Tailored – Comprehensive Oral Care Part C
Prof. John G. Thomas, Ph.D.
Kerri Thomas, BS
West Virginia University
School of Dentistry
Role of Dental Hygiene in Addressing Oral Biofilms
What are PRESENT anti biofilm tools???
What is a Students/Researcher perspective???
What are EMERGING anti biofilm tools
Tailored-Comprehensive Oral Care (T-COC) A Continuum from Birth to Death
Strategies in controlling the biofilm: HABITATS
- Remove/reduce/disrupt habitat
- Maintenance of Oral Hygiene
- Anti bacterial
- Chlorexidine, Essential Oils, Triclosan,
- Fluoride, Xylitol, Calcium, Phosphate
Present Oral anti biofilm Tools
Practice by habit???
Does size matter?
“Tooth Mousse” / Recaldent™ MI Paste
University of Melbourne
Casein Phospho-peptido-Amorphorus Calcium Phosphate (CPP-ACP)
Inhibits enamel and dentin demineralization
Slows progression of caries significantly
Adjunct to Fluoride Treatment
Rynolds EC. CPP-ACP – The Scientific Evidence. Adv. in Dental Res. 2009. 21; 25.
Emerging Oral anti biofilm Tools
Practice by science????
Oral Health Rinse
FDA Approved (Class II Device)
(8 Double-Blind Studies)
0.2% Dilmophinol Hydrochloride
1.5% Alcohol, 2x/Day
(All other oral anti-plaque/anti-gingivitis rinses are classified as drugs)
GUM PerioShield: www.sunstaramerica.com
Formerly John O. Butler Company
Viewed the theory of “survival of the fittest” as supporting co-operation rather than competition.
- In his book Mutual Aid: A Factor of Evolution he set out his analysis leading to the conclusion that the fittest was not necessarily the best at competing individually, but often the community made up of those best at working together.
- “The animal species, in which individual struggle has been reduced to its narrowest limits, and the practice of mutual aid has attained the greatest development, are invariably the most numerous, the most prosperous, and the most open to further progress."
The “We” View = Biofilm Phenotype
Probiotics: Definition (WHO, 2002)
Provide a benefit when administered in adequate amounts
Food Additive OR Medical Management/ Intervention and position of the FDA
Prebiotics: An Overview
Functional Food Ingredients (Japan, 1980)
Beneficial Effects through
Complementary to Probiotics
Probiotics: “What’s in a Name”
“Therapeutic Microbiology: Probiotics and Related Strategies.” ASM Press 8/2008. James Versalovic and Michael Wilson.
“A Prescription Engineered by Nature”
- Prof. John G. Thomas 10/2008
Tracking & Linking Disease by 6 Global Regions: The WHO Gradient - Probiotics
Mechanisms of Action Of Oral Probiotics
Various probiotic administrations for oral health
PerioBalance® Daily Dental Probiotic
Clinically shown to reduce plaque and promote healthy teeth and gums
New Paradigms THM
“Custodians” of Oral, Normal Flora
“Stewards” of Oral health /Oral Benifical Flora
WVUH Oral-Facial Microbiology Laboratory
Future of Biofilms and Probiotics And the Dental Office
Tumor management .
Molecular medicine Enters the Mouth
Saliva vs Blood in Dx
“Half the world is composed of people who have something to say and can’t, and the other half who have nothing to say and keep on saying it.” -Robert Frost (1875-1963)